This month we were lucky enough to sit down with Laurel Touby and Mark Wachen to learn about “How to Build a Company with a Multi-Million Dollar Exit.”
- Founded Mediabistro, the largest online community of online journalists, which she sold in 2007 to Jupitermedia for $23 million
- Contributing writer for BusinessWeek, Glamour, Travel & Leisure and New York (Laurel’s bio)
- Founded Optimost, a multivariate testing and optimization platform, which he sold in 2007 for $52 million
- Managing Director for DreamIt Ventures NYC, an accelerator for early stage Internet companies (Mark’s bio)
Top 6 Best Practices
- Investors invest in you, not your company.
- Talk to you customers. Love your customers.
- Don’t obsess about competition.
- Get and use PR and press.
- Hire a good startup lawyer.
- Bluff like a man.