This past March, we were able to get Stephen Messer and Jeff Stewart to sit down with us and explain their thoughts on “Being a Great Leader/CEO.”
- Founded and sold his first startup Linkshare for $425 million
- Prior to the acquisition, grew Linkshare for 9 years (through the dot-com bust) to over 200 employees
- Currently Board member of Reloadnyc, Cross Commerce Media and angel investor (Stephen’s bio)
- Founder and Chairman of Mimeo, one of Inc’s 2010 Fastest-Growing Companies with revenues of $60 million+
- Founder of Square Earth, which merged with Proxicom and IPO’d on NASDAQ
- Currently Founder and Chairman of Urgent Group, and angel investor (Jeff’s bio)
Top 5 Best Practices
- Have the right mentors. Find someone right out of retirement who sees something they like in you and wants to be involved in your future success.
- Possess that intellectual curiosity. If you’re not passionate and curious about every detail, you should probably be doing something else.
- Be prepared to learn and grow. You role and approach is going to change as the company grows
- Focus on revenue. Revenue solves all sorts of problems (validates you are doing your job well).
- Foster a data-driven startup culture. Know the key metrics that govern your company’s success.